Translate

Friday, December 20, 2013

THE LOTTERY; GAMBLING - NYOBS 23.18

 THE LOTTERY; GAMBLING
Have you ever paid a dollar to throw balls to win a twenty-five cent stuffed bear?

Wikipedia
  • The lottery is a form of gambling which involves the drawing of lots for a prize which may be a certain amount of money and is taxable if over a certain amount depending on the country and or state the lottery was drawn. Most lottery expenditures go to various institutions, primarily public school systems.
  • Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods. Gambling thus requires three elements be present: consideration, chance and prize
  • Typically, the outcome of the wager is evident within a short period.

First Word
  • God is not against riches or wealth; in fact it is God that gives us the ability to obtain wealth.  It all belongs to God and what we give back to God is only a portion of what He has already given us.  
  • We are cautioned not to be arrogant and cocky about our finances, not to put our hope in them as our continued finances is fairly uncertain; but to put our hope in God.
  • These thoughts present three questions.
  1. By what means did you obtain your wealth?
  2. Where does wealth rank in your priorities?
  3. How do you use your wealth?
Deut 8:18 – God gives the ability to obtain wealth
18 But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today. NIV
1 Chron 29:12-14 – It all belongs to God
12 Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things.
In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all.
13 Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name.
14 "But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. NIV
1 Tim 6:17 – Riches are uncertain.
17 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our
enjoyment. NIV
Risk Taking
  • Part of life is risk taking whether it is with your own money or someone else’s assets that has been entrusted to you.
  • This would include your natural talents and God given Gifts in the service of the Gospel of Jesus Christ; stepping out and “taking a risk at failure” in your own church.
  • God encourages LEGITIMATE risk taking.  He also says to count the cost first to see if you can accomplish your desires. – Don’t lean on your own understanding, but seek Godly council; wisdom, understanding and knowledge. – Many advisors bring success.
  • In the Parable of the talents, the servants were entrusted with “talents; some invested wisely and others hid their talents. The faithful servants were rewarded; the un-faithful servants lost all they had. – Read it.
Luke 14:28 – Count the cost before you take a risk.
28 "Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? NIV
Prov 24:3-4 – Seek wisdom, understanding and knowledge
3 By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established;
4 through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures. NIV
Prov 15:22 – Many advisors will bring success
22 Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. NIV
Prov 3:5-7 – Do not lean on your own understanding – Seek God
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.  
7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.
NIV
Matt 25:14-30 – Faithful use of talents
14 Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them.
15 To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.
16 The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more.
17 So also, the one with the two talents gained two more.
18 But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.
19 "After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them.
20 The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. `Master,' he said, `you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.'
21 "His master replied, `Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
22 "The man with the two talents also came. `Master,' he said, `you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.'
23 "His master replied, `Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
24 "Then the man who had received the one talent came. `Master,' he said, `I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed.
25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.'
26 "His master replied, `You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?
27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
28 "`Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents.
29 For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.
30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' NIV
Greed
  • The LOVE of money is the root of all evil. – It’s not the money; it’s the love of the money.
  • Is your risk taking motivated by greed?  People who want to get rich fall into the trap of temptation and wander into foolish and harmful desires bringing them into ruin and destruction.
  • When we make hasty decisions “without planning” and counsel we fall into the snares of Satan. – It is faithfulness that is blessed; NOT eagerness for a buck.
  • Greed is an equal opportunity employer.  You don’t have to be rich to be greedy - Stinginess and eagerness for a buck leads to poverty.
  • Did you notice that one of the Ten Commandments was about coveting what others have?
  • "Everything is permissible"- but not everything is beneficial. - You can become addicted to getting MORE money.
  • When the occasional Bingo, Lottery or Gambling changes from amusement to dependency, you are in trouble. – It certainly does not start out that way, but that’s how it ends. I have been in a gas station and observed a customer purchase $45.00 worth of scratch off tickets and hastily scratched them off right then and there.
1 Tim 6:5-10 – The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil
5 Men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.
8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.
9 People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. NIV
Ex 20:17 – You shall not covet
17 "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor." NIV
Prov 21:5-6 – We are to diligently plan
5 The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty.
6 A fortune made by a lying tongue is a fleeting vapor and a deadly snare.  NIV
Prov 28:20 – The faithful man is blessed
20 A faithful man will be richly blessed, but one eager to get rich will not go unpunished.  NIV
Prov 28:22 – A stingy man is eager for riches
22 A stingy man is eager to get rich and is unaware that poverty awaits him. NIV
1 Cor 6:12 – Don’t become addicted to money
12 "Everything is permissible for me"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"-but I will not be mastered by anything. NIV
The Lottery
  • I take no special interest in the state lottery except when they start talking on TV about the winning amount is now up to $500,000,000; then that gets my attention and I go out and buy ONE ticket. - My attitude is; if God wants me to win, I will win. – I expect nothing.
  • I told my son Mike that I had bought a lottery ticket – He proceeded to tell me about how many “millions to one” chances I had in winning and that the lottery was designed to exploit the poor - I told him I was going to give him part of my winnings… He said he thought he would be further ahead if I would just send him the dollar.
  • Winning the lottery does not get my mind thinking about how I can help people get educated or how I can help the state get its projects paid for.  Not at all, I think about what the money can do for ME.
  • I think about giving all my kids a few million each, my Church and a few missionary outreach programs a few million each, and for me; I need a new floor in the kitchen and I might take a cruise if my back doesn’t hurt that week.
  • CONTENTMENT.  I speak of these things because I’m old and I am content with where I am.  I am not asking God to bless me just for the MONEY’S sake.  He supplies all my needs according to His abundance in Glory through Christ Jesus.
  • Whether I win the lottery or not, I will eventually get my kitchen floor fixed and if I feel like it, I might save for a cruise and with luck, the RAPTURE will come while I am sitting on the balcony watching His sunset over the ocean.
  • THE QUESTION; Why do you play the lottery?  Is it a thirst for wealth?  Do you not trust God to supply your needs?
  • If your life is not content, then you are driven by greed.  God will not bless greed. 
  • Isn’t it foolishness to think that God needs you to have a winning lottery ticket just so He can get ten percent of your winnings or even one hundred percent for that matter?  God doesn’t need our money.  He has cattle on a thousand hills – He can sell some cows if He needs to do something and that’s no “bull”.  When we give to God, it just allows us to get in on what He is doing.
  • Need Money, Trust God – Give away what you can and it will come back to you in good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over. - If you measure out a tablespoon of giving, God will repay you with a shovel full. – You can’t out give God.
Phil 4:19 – God supplies all my needs
19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. KJV
Prov 10:22 – It is God that make one rich- with no sorrows
22 The blessing of the LORD makes one rich, And He adds no sorrow with it.  NKJV
Ps 50:10 God has cattle on a thousand hills
10 for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. NIV
Luke 6:38 – Give and it will be given to you
38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." NIV

Two Masters
  • We watch others; non-Christians at that, succeeding at what they are doing as we seem to be passed by in the shadows waiting patiently for our ship to come in.
  • Remember it not what you have, but how you got it.  We are taught to seek the resting place of God not the “Wheel of Fortune”.
  • We are to store up treasures in Heaven not on earth, because where your treasures are, so is your heart.  If your eyes are on money, you cannot see God; you cannot serve God and Money.
Ps 37:7 – Wait patiently for God and do not fret
7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.  NIV
Isa 65:10-12 – The “Wheel of Fortune” displeases God
10 Sharon will become a pasture for flocks, and the Valley of Achor a resting place for herds, for my people who seek me.
11 "But as for you who forsake the LORD and forget my holy mountain, who spread a “table for Fortune” and fill bowls of mixed wine for Destiny,
12 I will destine you for the sword, and you will all bend down for the slaughter; for I called but you did not answer, I spoke but you did not listen. You did evil in my sight and chose what displeases me." NIV
Matt 6:19-21 – Your heart is where your treasures are.
19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. NIV
Matt 6:22-24 – You can’t seek God and money at the same time
22 "The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light.
23 But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money. NIV

Hard Work
  • Somewhere within us we want to make it BIG so we won’t have to work anymore.
  • Our very makeup pushes us to take short cuts, to not work hard for what we want; some times we chose to steal and gamble and even steal so we can gamble.
  • I met a guy on a cruise ship that saved thousands so he could gamble once a year.  I asked him, how much had he won.  He responded that he had lost more than he had ever won, but the way he looked at it, they were just “holding his money for him” till he came back.
  • Scripture says if we have stolen; to steal no more and to work with our hands so we will have something to share with others
  • God goes on to say, if you don’t work, you don’t eat – (Unless you have a career in welfare.)
  • If you are lazy, prefer to sleep than work, poverty will pounce on you like a bandit. – You want wealth; then work, it’s a fool that chases games of chance and get rich quick schemes.
Eph 4:28 – Work so you can share with others
28 He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need. NIV
2 Thess 3:10 – You don’t work – You don’t eat
10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." NIV
Prov 6:9-11 – The lazy man will find poverty quickly
9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep?
10 A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest--
11 and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man.   NIV
Prov 10:4 – You want wealth – Then Work
4 Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.  NIV
Prov 12:11 – A fool chases fantasies.
11 He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who chases fantasies lacks judgment.  NIV
Witness
  • Paul writes of his concern for others that his own “personal freedom” does not cause someone else to stumble because of their weakness and lack of knowledge.
  • A Christian participating in gambling and the lottery can affect his witness to others.
1 Cor 9:19-22 – I am free to do what I want to - But
19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.
20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.
21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.
22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.
NIV
1 Cor 8:13 – Will it cause your brother to stumble
13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall. NIV
Last Days
  • We are now in the last days and are warned that men will lose their love for God and their desires will run rapid seeking money, pleasure and will become lovers of themselves.
  • They will say they are Christians, but will only have a “form of godliness”.
  • They will rob God of His tithes and offerings and it will not cross their minds to obtain wealth in order to share with others.
2 Tim 3:1-5 – Lovers of Money, pleasure, themselves
1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:
2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,
4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! NKJV
Mal 3:8-9 – Man will rob God of His tithes and offerings.
8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, `How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings.
9 You are under a curse-the whole nation of you - because you are robbing me. NIV
Prosperity
  • It is God’s “Good Pleasure” to bless us, to choose us, to predestine us to Himself.
  • God wants us to prosper in health and in our finances and to have fun.  He delights in our well being.
  • For the one that works, it is his heritage to enjoy the good that comes from the work of his hands – EAT, DRINK, and ENJOY
Eccl 5:18 – Eat, drink and enjoy the good of your labor
18 Here is what I have seen: It is good and fitting for one to eat and drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labor in which he toils under the sun all the days of his life which God gives him; for it is his heritage NKJV
Eph 1:3-5 – It is the good pleasure of His will - we were chose
3 Our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,
5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,
NKJV
Ps 149:4 – God takes pleasure in us
4 For the LORD takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the humble with salvation.  NKJV
Ps 35:27 – God delights in the well being of his servants
27 May those who delight in my vindication shout for joy and gladness; may they always say, "The LORD be exalted, who delights in the well-being of his servant." NIV
3 John 2 – As our spirit prospers, so will our health
2 Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospers. KJV

Closing Thoughts
  • When I find a penny on the street, I pick it up and quote “My God supplies all my needs according to His abundance in glory through Christ Jesus”. – He is my source.
  • I will probably buy a lottery ticket when they start talking about it again on TV and I might play Bingo if I hang out with some ole folks and I might put 50 cents on a Gamecock football game, but it will be few and far between. - It will be just for fun and amusement with no expectations.
  • Everything I have or will have comes from God.  He gives me the ability to obtain wealth. -  He is my source. 
  • God wants me to enjoy the proceeds from the hard work of my hands, talent and mind; to EAT DRINK LAUGH and ENJOY.
  • It is my commitment that no earthly thing will become the master of me, not even FOOD.
  • In my FREEDOM, I pray that because of my actions, I do not cause someone else to stumble.
  • We are back at the beginning of the study with the first questions.
  1. By what means did you obtain your wealth?
  2. Where does wealth rank in your priorities?
  3. How do you use your wealth?




In the multitude of counselors,
 there is wisdom.
Prov 11:14

I am grateful for those that went before me providing concepts, ideas, historical information, and scripture verses.  Because of them I can stand on their shoulders and see further than I otherwise ever could have.

Annotated Reference Bible – Dake
Antiquity of the Jews – Josephus
Bible Dictionary – Harper’s
Gambling and the Lottery – Tony Evans
King James Version Bible - KJV
Koinonia House – Chuck Missler
New International Version Bible – NIV
New King James Version Bible – NKJV
New World Encyclopedia - Webster
Who’s Who in the Bible – Gardner

Wikipedia
.

No comments:

Post a Comment