Translate

Monday, February 15, 2016

CHASTISEMENT - NYOBS 54.02


CHASTISEMENT

First Word

Sometimes we find ourselves in deep water when we as Christians do no obey
the instructions of God.  Sometimes God has to get our attention through chastisement and discipline, but He still provides a way through it all.  - NYOBS 03.02 – JONAH & THE WHALE
It is God that chastens us.  Chastisement comes that we will not be condemned with the rest of the world, but that we will be partakers of His Holiness.

Deuteronomy 8:5 – It is the LORD your God that disciplines you
5 Know then in your heart that, as a man disciplines his son, the LORD your God disciplines you.
(ESV)
1 Corinthians 11:32 – Disciplined so we may not be condemned
32 But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.
(ESV)
Hebrews 12:10 – Disciplined so that we may share in His Holiness
10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. (ESV)
Jonah 2:1-10 – With Discipline God provides a way through it
1 Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the belly of the fish,
2 saying, “I called out to the LORD, out of my distress, and he answered me; out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice.
3 For you cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, and the flood surrounded me; all your waves and your billows passed over me.
4 Then I said, ‘I am driven away from your sight; yet I shall again look upon your holy temple.’
5 The waters closed in over me to take my life; the deep surrounded me; weeds were wrapped about my head
6 at the roots of the mountains. I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me forever; yet you brought up my life from the pit, O LORD my God.
7 When my life was fainting away, I remembered the LORD, and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.
8 Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love.
9 But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay. Salvation belongs to the LORD!”
10 And the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah out upon the dry land.
(ESV)

What Chastisement looks like
·         Through Chastisement and Discipline God has sent insects and rodents, and even has stooped the rain. 
·         At times He has added grief to man’s sorrows and sometimes He has shorten his life span.
·         Chastisement can be the loss of your mind; you could go crazy. - He has caused skin diseases to come upon people.
·         It can come in the form of sickness that puts you in the bed and strong pain clear down to your bones. – I have often wondered if arthritis is a form of chastisement; if so I need to get right with God now.
2 Chronicles 7:13 – He may send locust and pestilence to devour
13 When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, (NKJV)
1 Kings 8:35 – He may hold back the rain
35 When the heavens are shut up and there is no rain because they have sinned against You, when they pray toward this place and confess Your name, and turn from their sin because You afflict them, (NKJV)
Jeremiah 45:3 – He may add grief to your Sorrows
3 You said, "Woe is me now! For the LORD has added grief to my sorrow. I fainted in my sighing, and I find no rest." '(NKJV)
Psalm 102:23 – He may make you weak and shorten your life
23 He weakened my strength in the way; He shortened my days. (NKJV)
Daniel 4:25 – He may take away your sanity – Drive you Crazy
25 They shall drive you from men, your dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make you eat grass like oxen. They shall wet you with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over you, till you know that the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whomever He chooses.
(NKJV)
2 Kings 15:4-5 – He may strike you with a disease
4 except that the high places were not removed; the people still sacrificed and burned incense on the high places.
5 Then the LORD struck the king, so that he was a leper until the day of his death; so he dwelt in an isolated house.  (NKJV)
Job 33:19 – He may afflict you with pain in your bones
19 Man is also chastened with pain on his bed, And with strong pain in many of his bones, (NKJV)
\
Satan
·         God will allow Satan to buffet us so that we might be ever conscious of God’s power working through us and not some power of our own.  This, however, is only an annoyance or a pain in the neck and will not stop or hinder His work. 
2 Corinthians 12:7 – Satan allowed to buffet men
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure... (NKJV)

Some Reasons for Chastening
·         Chastening or pruning can come so that as Christians we produce more fruit.
·         Chastening can come because of Sin in our life.  - If we are glad of someone else’s calamity, God will chasten us for that too. 
·         When the chastisement is over and you still walk contrary to God’s statues, prepare yourself to be punished again seven times over for those sins. -  It is possible for years of trouble to be inflicted on us if we do not listen to God’s Voice.
·         We are called to repent and turn from our sin and pray to God, then He will hear our prayer and heal our wounds.
John 15:2 - Every branch that does bear fruit He prunes
2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. (ESV)
Lamentations 1:5 – God Disciplined Jerusalem for her many sins
5
Her oppressors have become her masters, and her enemies prosper, for the LORD has punished Jerusalem for her many sins. Her children have been captured and taken away to distant lands. (NLT)
Proverbs 17:5 – Don’t gloat over someone else’s misfortune
5 Whoever mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker; whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished.
(NIV2011)
Leviticus 26:23-24 - I will punish you seven times for your sins
23 And if by these things you are not reformed by Me, but walk contrary to Me,
24  then I also will walk contrary to you, and I will punish you yet seven times for your sins.
(NKJV)
Psalm 78:33 – Discipline can continue for years – Repent now
33 Therefore their days He consumed in futility, and their years in fear. (NKJV)
2 Chronicles 7:14 – Humble, Seek, Turn - God will hear; forgive
14  If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. (ESV)

Only Sons are disciplined
·         God even removed Himself from His only begotten Son that His greater plan might be perfected. 
·         If you have not been on the receiving end of chastisement, then you ae not a child of God.  
·         Do not hate the chastening and corrections of God for He loves you as a Father loves His own child. 
·         Be happy when God corrects you because a man that God chastens is blessed. 
·         Even though we love the Lord and are bearing good fruit, God may still prune our branches so that we bring forth even better fruit. 
Mark 15:34 – God stepped away from His own Son
34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (ESV)
Hebrews 12:8 – If you are not disciplined then you’re not a Son
8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. (ESV)
Proverbs 3:11 - Do not despise or resent the LORD’s discipline
11 My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, (NIV2011)
Hebrews 12:6 - The Lord disciplines the ones He loves
6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” (ESV)
Job 5:17 - Blessed is the one whom God reproves
17 Behold, blessed is the one whom God reproves; therefore despise not the discipline of the Almighty. (ESV)
Psalm 94:12 - Blessed is the man whom God disciplines
12 Blessed is the man whom you discipline, O LORD, and whom you teach out of your law, (ESV)
Revelation 3:19 - Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline
19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. (ESV)
John 15:1-2 – Pruned that you may bear more fruit
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.
2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. (ESV)
Pray
·         Pray that you fall into the hands of God rather than into the hands of man, because God is merciful.
·         We are to pray that God will not chasten us when He is in Hot displeasure or wrath.   
·         Pray a prayer of repentance; pray that you don’t get what you deserve.
Psalm 38:1 – Pray – Not to be rebuked in His Hot Anger
1 O LORD, rebuke me not in your anger, nor discipline me in your wrath! (ESV)
2 Samuel 24:14 – Pray – To fall into the Hand of God – Not man
14 Then David said to Gad, “I am in great distress. Let us fall into the hand of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but let me not fall into the hand of man.” (ESV)
1 Kings 8:48-51 – Repent – Pray – God will hear and forgive
48 if they repent with all their mind and with all their heart in the land of their enemies, who carried them captive, and pray to you toward their land, which you gave to their fathers, the city that you have chosen, and the house that I have built for your name,
49 then hear in heaven your dwelling place their prayer and their plea, and maintain their cause
50  and forgive your people who have sinned against you, and all their transgressions that they have committed against you, and grant them compassion in the sight of those who carried them captive, that they may have compassion on them
51  (for they are your people, and your heritage, which you brought out of Egypt, from the midst of the iron furnace). (ESV)

Results of Chastisement

·         Even though God wounds us, He will make us whole again.  When chastening comes we learn righteousness.  Our endurance bring praise, honor and glory to the name of Jesus Christ.
·         The trial or testing of our faith is more precious than gold.  When the chastening is over we will come forth as gold come from the furnace. - Chastisement brings forth ENDURANCE, endurance brings forth CHARACTER, and character brings forth HOPE.

1 Peter 1:6 – Your various trials are just for a little while
6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, (NKJV)
Job 5:18 – Although God bruises; He binds up Heals the wounds
18 For He bruises, but He binds up; He wounds, but His hands make whole. (NKJV)
Job 23:10 – Chastisement brings forth a character of Gold
10 But He knows the way that I take; When He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold. (NKJV)  
Isaiah 26:9 – Chastisement brings forth righteousness
9 With my soul I have desired You in the night, Yes, by my spirit within me I will seek You early; For when Your judgments are in the earth, The inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness. (NKJV)
Romans 5:2-4 – Chastisement - Endurance – Character - Hope
2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and
4 endurance produces character, and character produces hope, (ESV)
1 Peter 1:7 – Brings Praise, Honor and Glory to Jesus Christ
7  that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, (NKJV)




In the multitude of counselors,
there is wisdom.
Proverbs 11:14


I am grateful to those that went before me providing concepts, ideas, historical information, and scripture verses.  Because of them I can stand on their shoulders and see further that I otherwise ever could have.
                                                                                                                                     
Bible Almanac; The – Packer-Tenney-White
English Standard Version Bible – ESV
Expositor’s Bible Commentary – Frank E. Gaebelein
King James Version Bible - KJV
New International Version Bible - NIV

Thru the Bible – J. Vernon McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment